Peru-Pop-Up : 25th February
This time we will be celebrating Peru's last film success story, Undertow/Contracorriente, winner of last year's Sundance World Cinema Audience Award. The film, described as a 'true gem' by Timeout magazine, tells the story of two men who fall in love in a tiny Peruvian seaside village. Beautifully photographed and borrowing elements from magic realism, Javier Fuentes-Leon first feature film "trascends time and place".
We may throw a couple of "musica criolla" musicians into the mixture.
What: PeruPop-Up! A Night of Film, Music, Food and Drink
When: 7pm-12am. Friday, February 25, 2011
Where: Westbourne Grove Church, Corner of Westbourne Grove
and Ledbury Road, Notting Hill, London W11 2RW
FREE ENTRY (the movie is free as well)
Film starts at 7.30pm.
Info: <www.southexp.org> and <email@example.com>
Peru Pop-Up is the slightly more mature and cultured sibling of Pisco Night, an event where the Southern Exposure militia take over a London venue to project the best of Peruvian Film and serve shockingly good Peruvian food and curiously strong drinks, all in a background of Peruvian beats.
What to expect: WATCH/EAT/DRINK/LISTEN/BUY
- WATCH Undertow/Contracorriente FREE (by Javier Fuentes-Leon).
- EAT Peruvian classics. Papa a la Huancaina, Seco de Cordero and Aji de Gallina.
- DRINK Cusquena beer, Algarrobina, Pisco Sour and wine.
- LISTEN to obscure Peruvian garage, rcok and (tropical) pshychedelia.
- BUY: CDs (Afro-Peruvian Dub, Psychdelic Cumbia and 60's psyc/garage) and selected crafts.